The Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control is seeking a Senior Research Associate to contribute to the organization’s Iran research. The position offers an excellent opportunity to gain valuable open source research and nonprofit sector experience while working on one of the world’s foremost proliferation challenges. You will be joining a small team that values excellence, creativity, diligence, humor, and a commitment to the organization’s mission.
The Senior Research Associate will be responsible for managing research, writing, and editing content for a new online tool being developed by the Wisconsin Project. Specific duties include:
- Tracking developments related to Iranian proliferation and sanctions implementation and evasion in open sources (government actions, media reports, trade data, etc.)
- Writing issue briefs, explainers, and reports on these topics
- Profiling entities linked to Iran’s proliferation-related programs and sanctions evasion
- Creating network maps based on entity-related research
- Overseeing junior staff, including managing research assignments and editing drafts
- Tracking project indicators and objectives and liaising with funder on a regular basis
- Coordinating with Project staff and IT firm on tool development
Background: The Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control is a 501(c)(3) organization that conducts research, advocacy, and public education aimed at inhibiting strategic trade from contributing to the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction. The organization is a member of the Gender Champions in Nuclear Policy initiative and is committed to bringing forward women’s contributions in order to more effectively achieve the organization’s mission.
Qualifications: Candidates must have a strong academic background (Masters required) with at least five years of related professional experience and a passion for conducting in-depth, open source research. Candidates must also write clearly and have the ability to evaluate diverse sources as part of the writing process. Familiarity with Iran proliferation issues and an understanding of sanctions are required.
A successful candidate will have a rigorous approach to research and writing, and be comfortable receiving and giving feedback in the research and writing process.
Compensation: This is a full-time staff position with generous benefits.
To apply: Candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Research Associate – Iran” in the subject line. Application deadline: December 1.