CSIS is seeking up to two Program Managers and Research Associates to join the Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) to contribute to PONI’s mission of developing the next generation of nuclear experts. The Program Manager and Research Associate is responsible for conducting research and writing, and for assisting with project management. The Program Manager and Research Associate supports the operational and substantive goals of PONI and will be expected to play a key role in advancing PONI’s initiatives, including the Nuclear Scholars Initiative, Mid-Career Cadre, international exchanges, deep dive workshops, editing the annual PONI journal and contributing to PONI’s research initiative on emerging technology and strategic situational awareness. She/he reports to Rebecca Hersman, Director, Project on Nuclear Issues and Senior Adviser, International Security Program. PONI is seeking up to two individuals to join the team. The positions will be hired at either the Program Coordinator and Research Assistant or Program Manager and Research Associate level based on qualifications toward required skills and experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential functions and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
Program Management (60%):
- Organizes and coordinates program events, including meetings, briefings, roundtables, dialogues, international exchanges and major conferences;
- Assists in conceptualizing new project ideas;
- Assists with maintaining and updating PONI websites and communications;
- Assists in outreach and recruitment for participation in PONI programs;
- Manages program financial transactions, including day-to-day budget of the program and preparation for regular budget reviews;
- Other administrative and research tasks as needed.
- Supports the program’s research agenda through research and writing, particularly on nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction issues;
- Monitors trends and developments in program interest areas, and provides updates to program staff;
- Assists with layout, editing, and dissemination of publications;
- Contributes to broader WMD and national security research efforts as part of the Senior Adviser’s portfolio;
- Provide research support on emerging technologies, situational awareness, and strategic stability;
- Interest and experience developing or participating in wargames, simulations, table-top exercises or scenario-based discussion.
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree required for the Program Coordinator and Research Assistant level and Master’s degree required for the Program Manager and Research Associate level;
- Strong knowledge, interest and experience on nuclear weapons issues;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct rigorous research and present information clearly and efficiently;
- Superior writing and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute events and conferences;
- Ability to manage competing priorities and multiple projects under tight deadlines;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to write, think, and operate both independently and on a team;
- Ability to interact with and respond to questions from a range of individuals with diverse interested and backgrounds;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Performances of duties require the use of hands to finger, handle, or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applications should submit a resume, cover letter, and 3-5-page writing sample to: https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.