The Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) is a non-profit, bipartisan public policy organization established in 1962 to provide strategic insights and practical policy solutions to decision makers concerned with global security and prosperity. Over the years, it has grown to be one of the largest organizations of its kind, with a staff of some 200 employees, including more than 120 analysts working to address the changing dynamics of international security across the globe.
CSIS seeks a full-time intern to support the Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) on administrative and research efforts related to a project on emerging technology, situational awareness, and strategic stability. She/he will be expected to contribute to the development of table-top exercises and the production and review of content for the project website. She/he should be a motivated self-starter with an interest in nuclear weapons and emerging technology – including autonomy, remote sensing, unmanned platforms, and space and cyber systems. She/he should possess strong research and analytic skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Provide research support to PONI staff on emerging technologies, situational awareness, and strategic stability
• Support the development of a series of table-top exercises on emerging technologies, situational awareness, and strategic stability
• Review and edit papers submitted for publication
• Support PONI staff in coordinating and organizing events
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum BA/BS degree
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
• Interest and knowledge of issues related to emerging technology and nuclear weapons
• Strong analytic and writing skills
• Experience with coordinating events
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Self-starter with ability to work independently but also collaboratively with a team
• Experience developing table-top exercises is a plus but is not required
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, and college transcript at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com/
Job Location Washington, District of Columbia, United States Position TypeFull-Time/Regular