CSIS seeks a full-time intern to support the Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) on administrative and research efforts to develop the next generation of nuclear experts. PONI cultivates the next generation of policy, technical and operational nuclear professionals through outreach, mentorship, research and debate. PONI interns support the operational and substantive goals of PONI and will be expected to contribute to initiatives including the Conference Series, Nuclear Scholars Initiative, the Mid-Career Cadre, research on a variety of nuclear and chemical weapons issues, and the Next Generation Nuclear Network website. Because of the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of research, analytic, and logistics task work.
Essential duties and responsibilities
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following
• Support PONI staff in coordinating and organizing events.
• Provide research support to PONI staff on ongoing projects on emerging technologies and nuclear risk, accountability for use of chemical weapons, and other nuclear weapons policy issues.
• Review and edit papers submitted for publication.
• Compile daily news relating to nuclear issues.
• Maintain and produce content for the new PONI website, the Next Generation Nuclear Network.
Knowledge, education, and experience
• Minimum BA/BS degree
• Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
• Interest and knowledge of issues related to chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons
• Strong analytic and writing skills
• Experience with coordinating events
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Self-starter with ability to work independently but also collaboratively with a team