CSIS is seeking a full-time intern to support the Project on Nuclear Issues (PONI) on administrative and research efforts to develop the next generation of nuclear experts. PONI cultivates the next generation of policy, technical and operational nuclear professionals through outreach, mentorship, research and debate. PONI interns support the operational and substantive goals of PONI and will be expected to contribute to initiatives including the Conference Series, Nuclear Scholars Initiative, the Mid-Career Cadre, research on emerging technologies and nuclear risk, and the Next Generation Nuclear Network website. Interns will also support additional projects including research on accountability mechanisms for use of chemical weapons, and research and logistical support for the commission on Strengthening America’s Health Security, a partnership with the CSIS Global Health Policy Center. Because of the fast-paced work environment, interns should be motivated self-starters that enjoy a wide variety of research, analytic, and logistics task work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support PONI staff in coordinating and organizing events.
- Provide research support to PONI staff on ongoing projects including attribution and accountability for chemical weapons use, emerging technologies and nuclear risk, global health security, and other nuclear weapons policy issues.
- Review and edit papers submitted for publication.
- Compile daily news relating to nuclear issues.
- Maintain and produce content for the new PONI website, the Next Generation Nuclear Network.
KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum BA/BS degree
- Must have at least a 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent from a non-U.S. institution
- Interest and knowledge of issues related to chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons
- Strong analytic and writing skills
- Experience with coordinating events
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-starter with ability to work independently but also collaboratively with a team
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Performances of duties require the use of hands and fingers to handle or feel. The job frequently requires ability to stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a résumé, cover letter, and college transcript at https://csiscareers.silkroad.com.